The Embassy of Argentina in Washington, D.C. is located in the busy neighborhood of Dupont Circle, in a house originally built for George Franklin Huff, a Republican Congressman from Pennsylvania. Mr. Huff was a delegate to the 1880 Republican National Convention, and member of the Pennsylvania State Senate (1884-1888). In 1891, he was elected to the Fifty-second Congress and reelected for five more terms. Married to Henrietta Burrell, they were the parents of eight children.
In 1906, Mr. Huff commissioned architect Horace Trumbauer the design of the house. On February 20, 1913, the Argentine Government purchased the building from Mrs. Henrietta Huff, who decided to sell the house after her husband’s death in 1912.
The designer of the building was Philadelphia native Julian Abele (1881-1950), one of the first prominent African-American architects. He was the first African-American graduated from the University of Pennsylvania’s architecture program and was recruited by Horace Trumbauer’s architectural firm in Philadelphia. He also designed Harvard’s University Widener Library, North Carolina’s Duke University buildings, much of the Philadelphia Museum of Arts and numerous private mansions in Newport, Rhode Island and New York.